Tools from the White Paper
These implementation tools are successfully used by ACCC programs and can be found in the white paper.
- Assessment of Oral Chemotherapy Adherence & Toxicity
- In-Office Dispensing Process
- Oral Chemotherapy Checklist
- Oral Chemotherapy Consent Form
- Oral Chemotherapy Process Flowchart
- Oral Chemotherapy Education Process Flowchart
- Process for Prescribing & Dispensing
Provider and Patient Education Resources
The following are links to resources to help providers through all phases of implementing oral oncolytics, from the point of treatment decision making to to post-treatment.
Oral Chemotherapy Resources for Providers
- American Journal of Managed Care (AJMC) video series:
10 episodes cover a range of topics related to oral oncolytics and strategies to address payer and physicians concerns about adherence to treatment and strategies to address emerging challenges.
- ASCO/ONS Chemotherapy Administration Safety Standards
- Avella Oral Chemotherapy Monitoring and Counseling Chart
- Checklist for Documentation of Oral Chemotherapy Adherence and Toxicity
Provided Courtesy of Arizona Oncology
- Chemo in a Bottle for Colorectal Cancer
- Keeping Pace with Oral Chemotherapy.
Oncology Issues (May/June 2009)
- Multinational Association for Supportive Care in Cancer (MASCC) Oral Agent Teaching Tool
This tool is designed to assist healthcare providers in the assessment and education of patients receiving oral agents for cancer treatment.
- National Community Oncology Dispensing Association
Resources for dispensing practices.
- Oncology Chemotherapy: What Your Patients Needs to Know.
Oncology Issues (November/December 2014)
- Redesign Cancer Care Delivery-Oral Chemotherapy Excerpt
The Advisory Board Company
Patient Education Resources
- CancerCare The Importance of Taking Your Pills Every Day on Schedule
Available online (with audio) or as a downloadable PDF.
Drug and side effect management information.
- Dana Farber Oral Chemotherapy Drug Diary
- REVISED! ONS Oral Adherence Toolkit
- Oral Chemo Guide
- ONS Case Study: Adherence Concerns of Woman With Metastatic Breast Cancer on Oral Regimen
- ONS Standard for Educating Nurses who Administer Chemotherapy and Biotherapy
- Links to classes:
- ONS Tools for Oral Adherence Toolkit
Oral Parity Resources
- Patients Equal Access Coalition
- State Patients Equal Access Coalition
- Oral Parity Awareness Flyer
- Clinical Journal of Oncology Nursing, Special supplement June, 2015 focused on Oral Anticancer Therapies.
- ONS Healthcare Workers Handling Hazardous Drugs Should Be Monitored in Surveillance Program
- Polovich M, Olsen M, LeFebvre KB. (Eds.) Chemotherapy and biotherapy guidelines and recommendations for practice (4th ed.). 2014. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
- Polovich M. (Ed.) Safe handling of hazardous drugs (2nd ed.). 2011. Pittsburgh, PA: Oncology Nursing Society.
Additional references regarding adherence:
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) has website that is intended for patients and family members.
- Information on the Model of Adherence and Persistence can be found in Ruddy K, Mayer E, Partridge A. Patient adherence and persistence with oral anticancer treatment. CA: A Cancer J Clin. 2009;59:56–66. doi:10.3322/caac.20004.
- Given BA, Spoelstra SL, Grant M. The challenges of oral agents as antineoplastic treatments.Sem in Oncol Nurs. 2011;27(2):93–103. doi:10.1016/j.soncn.2011.02.003.
- Schneider S, Hess K, Gosselin T. Intervention to promote adherence with oral agents. Sem in Oncol Nurs. 2011;27(2), 133–141. doi:10.1006/j.soncn.2011.02.005.
Disclaimer: These resources are regularly reviewed to ensure that links still work correctly and the resources listed continue to be helpful to our visitors. ACCC is not responsible for errors or omissions. If you find that a link isn’t working or information is incorrect or if you’d like to have your own organization listed here, please contact us. Inclusion in this list does not serve as an endorsement by ACCC.