In 2016 ACCC completed an environmental scan, which combined primary and secondary research to identify existing systems and approaches that effectively support patients with metastatic breast cancer, including key documents to help ACCC understand the gaps and recent innovations that exist within patient support for this patient population. From this environmental scan and 16 phone interviews with notable leaders in patient care and support of metastatic breast cancer, ACCC identified 6 effective principles:
- Principle #1: Empower the Patient
- Principle #2: Reframe the Conversation
- Principle #3: Reduce Patient Isolation
- Principle #4: Offer Logistical Support at the Cancer Program
- Principle #5: Connect Patients with Support in the Community
- Principle #6: Collaborate in the Interest of Patients
This process map is included in the Metastatic Breast Cancer: Effective Principles & Practices in Patient Support workbook.