Hundreds of thousands of people living with metastatic breast cancer worldwide deserve the opportunity to understand their disease and treatment choices and face their diagnosis knowledgeably. ACCC’s partner organization, the Metastatic Breast Cancer Alliance, has pulled together tools from their networked members and is currently working on The Dandelion Project – a first-of-its-kind approach to information for patients with metastatic breast cancer and their families by designing a set of unique visual tools that will help address the existing communications challenges, increase patient engagement, and facilitate alignment of patient and healthcare team goals. Led by patients’ and healthcare teams’ insights and harnessing design expertise, the project is currently in pilot test phase investigating visuals as the means to redesign the conversation around metastatic breast cancer. ACCC will be including updates on this initiative in the coming months. Take time to explore existing tools and learn more about what’s in the works.
Tools & Resources
Frankly Speaking About Cancer Series: the Cancer Support Community’s education series that provides trusted information on a variety of topics important to people affected by metastatic breast cancer.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Booklet
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Worksheet. This tool helps patients make the most of their time with their healthcare team.
- Improving Patient-Provider Communication and Shared Decision Making.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer: Resources & Support
Living Well with Metastatic Breast Cancer archived webinar:
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Series: Guide for the Newly Diagnosed. The basics about breast cancer for those recently diagnosed with metastatic or stage IV disease. (Available in both English and Spanish).
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Series: Managing Stress and Anxiety. Methods to help lower the stress of ongoing treatment and methods of self-care.
- Metastatic Breast Cancer Series: Treatment Options for Today and Tomorrow.
- Guide to Understanding Clinical Trials.
- Guide to Understanding Financial Concerns. Explains private and public health insurance, the Affordable Care Act, how to get insurance, handle denials, apply for disability, and understand “hidden” costs.